During the 29th edition of the annual Malta Journalism Awards, George Cremona from RTK103FM won the award for Radio Journalism.
For the ceremony, hosted by the Institute of Maltese Journalists (IĠM), an independent jury was appointed by IĠM to evaluate the nominations for the awardees. This jury was made up of Sir Albert Callus as Chairman, Antoine Falzon and Sergio Mallia.
President George Vella spoke about how the technological development has led to a globalised world and made telecommunication more efficient. He added that with the large quantity of information being shared, there is the power to move and shake social and governmental structures.
Following complaints about a specific award category, the Jury decided to revoke the award for “Journalism broadcasted through scripted television” won by Johnathan Farrugia, on the basis of Farrugia’s admission not being in line with the specific requirements.
The winners were as follows:
- Print Journalism – David Hudson, Maltatoda
- Photo Journalism – Darrin Zammit Lupi, Reuters
- Broadcast Journalism – TV Script News – Antonia Micallef, TVM
- Broadcast Journalism – TV Script Features – Mario Xuereb, TVM
- Broadcast Journalism – Film – Brandon Pisani, TVM
- Broadcast Journalism – Radio Current Affairs – George Cremona, RTK
- E-Journalism – Glen Falzon, www.tvm.com.mt
- Sports Journalism Print – Valhmor Camilleri, The Sunday Times of Malta
- Sports Journalism Broadcasting – Charles Camenzuli, NET TV
- Human Stories – Karl Azzopardi, Maltatoday
- Sports Photography – Domenic Aquilina, The Professional Imagemaker
- Travel Journalism – CVC Media, TVM
- Cultural Journalism Print – Noel D’Anastasi, In-Nazzjon Cultural Journalism Broadcasting
- Cultural E Journalism – Keith Demicoli, www.tvm.com.mt
- Environment Journalism – Alan Deidun, The Sunday Times of Malta
- Opinion Articles – Alan Deidun, The Sunday Times of Malta
- Best use of Maltese Language in Radio and Teleision – Mario Xuereb, PBS
- Best use of Maltese Language in Newsletters and on the Internet – Victor Vella, Union Print